An early pioneer burial ground was at the site of Freedom Congregational Community Church four miles north and one-half mile west of Winfred. In the 1890's during a diphtheria epidemic several people were buried at this site located on the Thomas Westall farm. The Freedom Church was organized in 1891 and was served by a pastor in Winfred. In 1917 the church was disbanded and the building sold. Those buried there were removed to the Winfred Cemetery.
The few members of the Freedom Church joined the Winfred Congregational Community of United Church of Christ. The altar from the Freedom Church is now a part of the Winfred Church. A small marker placed in the Winfred Cemetery pays tribute to the pioneer Freedom Church and the people who had been buried there.