In the early 1900's a little town of Saranac was established on the Milwaukee railroad one mile west of Chester across the road from the Milwaukee railroad one mile west of Chester across the road from the Elmo Alverson farm. The town had two elevators, a depot, a lumber yard and a general store where cigars and groceries were sold.
Ruban Wilson was the depot agent and elevator man. Saranac was a bitter rival of Chester and was called the "kill Chester" town. It was a busy shipping point for all the farmers in the area. The elevator had a lift for the grain wagons and the horses had to be unhitched before unloading the grain, as some horses became frightened by the noise of the motors.
The town also had a nice ball diamond and was a busy place on Sunday afternoons.
The elevators burned down and the depot was moved to the northwest corner of the present Randy Hansen farm, then called Henkin. The lumber yard and store were moved to Chester. And Saranac was no more. The barber shop in Chester was the office of the lumber yard in Saranac; probably the only building left of Saranac.